Sunday, June 12, 2011

Deep Conditioning

I

Deep conditioning is a very essential part of a natural hair care routine. Deep conditioning provides extra moisture, and should be done 1-2 times a week. I do mine 1x a week because I have a young daughter and I am taking a heavy course load of online classes, so I usually don't have a lot of time to do it more than 1x a week. I have honey pictured because it's AWESOME when combined with your deep conditioner. I don't know anyone with dry hair who does not loveeee adding honey to their deep treatmenets! Here are different ways to do your deep treatments with your favorite deep conditioner:

1. Apply your deep conditioner and put on a plastic cap while you do chores, for a minimum of 1-2 hrs.
2. Apply your deep conditioner, put on a plastic cap, and sit under the dryer or steamer for 20-30 min.
3. Apply your deep conditioner, put on a plastic cap, put on your satin cap over it, and do a deep treatment overnight.

Tips:

For my low-porosity hair, the last two work for the best me. I usually do mine overnight since it's the easiest, and it's very effective. I rinse with cold water to ensure that my cuticles are closed.

For the lucky regular porosity people, I don't believe that there is any special way you should deep condition your hair. I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a regular porosity person having problems with deep conditioning.

For high porosity hair I advise to do your deep treatment (any way you'd like), and then after you rinse do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. Since Apple Cider Vinegar is Acidic, it helps close the holes in your hair that are open, and keeps moisture in your hair. You may also benefit from adding a protein like yogurt to your Deep Conditioners to give your hair the needed protein, and help repair any holes.

Tip: I add EVOO & Honey to my DC's. My hair cannot get enough moisture, and these two natural humectants really up the moisture for me! I don't measure it any certain way, I just put as much as I think I need. Also, If you need added protein, there are plenty of natural sources such as yogurt and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment